Thursday, November 18, 2010

AMERICAN LIFE - Home stay experience

The Overhaugs consists of Todd, Brandy, Denise, Lukas, Rhyan and Teagan. There's the dogs, Jet, Dakota, Niko and Cody. And then we have the cats, River, Otis and Suzy. They are a big family with plenty of stories to tell, jokes to share and love to give.

I felt a little awkward at our first dinner. However, that changed when Todd noticed that I, like him, was a lefty. He joked, "Left-handed people are the only ones who use the right hand." I lightened up and I don't remember having another awkward dinner after that.

We did many things during the weekend. We had guests, went to a park, took pictures, danced, rode on dirt bikes and went to visit Brandy's horse, Charlie. In 12 days, I was introduced to the life of a typical American family.

Brandy always has her camera by her side. She was always takign pictures and documenting our silly moments. On some days, we would sit together as a family and watch her videos. We would laugh at our silly selves. That, was definitely my favourite thing to do with them. I love the laughter that filled the house and the happiness that filled our hearts.

It's incredible how I've found best friends and a second family in such a short period of time. The Overhaugs have provided me with a comfortable home to live in and a family that I can feel loved in and I am grateful for that.

-Gene

(Amar, Veng Kim and I will be submitting our articles separately because we stayed in different homes)

(I'm using Wanying's account because I didn't receive my invitation)